twitter facebook

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Inspiration Comes Around Again


Ever have those dry spells where you're brain seems a little dull and you feel completely empty? I recently had one of those "dry spells" - until last week. Follow along as I post the progress of my latest project.

Over the weekend, I was inspired again. Chris & I had an oppotunity to visit Horseplay Equestrian. It's a wonderful place where the love of horses and the love of Christ actually meld together into a cool ministry. Horseplay is a horse rescue ranch which is a good mission in and of itself, but it doesn't end there. These horses are then used to help rescue people. Ranging from camps for underprivileged kids to one on one counseling sessions for kids dealing with things like abuse or addiction, Horseplay Equestrian pairs kids with horses to help teach life lessons and Biblical realities. Completely free to the kids, Horseplay has been relying on the Hand of God for provision to run the camp and He has been nothing less than faithful.

While touring the ranch I was quite taken with two of the rescued horses, Blue and Miracle. These two horses are the offspring of paint horses. One of the uniques traits of paints is that, if the offspring are born completely white, they can suffer from a broad range of health issues often leading to a very short life expectancy. Another unique trait is the tendency for these all white horses to have bright blue eyes. Since Blue and Miracle have come to the ranch, under the care of the owners and the help of some vounteers, they appear to have turned the corner and are getting healthier by the day. Not only are they growing stronger, but they are beginning to show splotches of color and one of Miracle's eyes has even turned from blue to brown. These horses are examples of the turn around that can be made even in the most desperate circumstances. So pairing horses and people who are kind of from the same place in life can be quite a learning experience - for both people and the horse.

After touring the ranch, I am inspired. So much so, I am picking up my paintbrush once again. (It's been more than a year) This weekend, got the canvas prepared and the horses blocked in. A painting of the horses that inspired me, this portait is titled "Blue Miracle". When it's finally finished we'll auction it off at the ranch with proceeds going directly to Horseplay.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the end product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami, the founder of Horseplay, is a good friend of mine. I have watched this ministry grow from a dream Tami had to help kids with horses to what it is today. All glory to God! Your painting is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing gift this will be for Horseplay Equestrian! I am one of the volunteers there, a 4-H leader with Tami and her close friend, and would love to see lots of bids at the auction to help cover the cost of running such an expensive ministry! Come on JQ listeners- you can do it!!! Thank you Emilee! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami is my mom, so I see everyday what happens at Horseplay through my bedroom window, and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came to Horseplay Equestrian through the Barnabas girls program... I came closer to God and it really changed my life. I also got the chance to interact with horses <3. Tami was really easy to open up to and has become my role model! She is a great influence and has great advice. Now that the program is done I am volunteering at Horseplay and I love it! Thank you for doing your part in helping this amazing ministry :)

    ReplyDelete